Harmony is a mom to 3, works a full time job, and still manages to make it in to CrossFit pretty much every weekday. She always works hard, has a great sense of humor even if she hates the workout, and continues to improve daily since she and her husband, Ben started working out with us almost 3 years ago. She's gone from wanting to work on double unders for Sunday skill work most Sundays, to now being a DU master, and she can probably out row most of us at the gym most days of the week. Harmony not only works hard, but is one of our most long term members (AND BEN!), and has continued to stick with us and support us through all the crazy gym changes the past couple years. We love the Chi's!
We asked Harmony a few questions about herself and here is what she had to say:
1) What did you do for fitness before CrossFit? (And/or what else do you do for fitness besides CrossFit presently?)
Lazy running and yoga through college, a strange year in the 90s trying every class Crunch in New York City had to offer, back to running and yoga, and then CrossFit. The only things I do outside CrossFit are… running and yoga.
2) What do you spend most of your time doing outside of the gym?
I work at UNC, and have 3 kids (5,7,9) so I spend a lot of time at the spa… I mean, soccer games, shopping, cooking, picking toys off the floor, it’s very glamorous. I actually love it though, especially cooking (and eating).
3) Tell us something about yourself we may not know.
I had an indie rock radio show in college, the coveted 2-4am slot.
4) What got you started in CrossFit?
Peer pressure. Some friends had just moved to Zambia, where Ben and I were living, and their only hesitation about the move was that there was no CrossFit. So they started one, basically so they would have people to work out with. We were part of a small test group. Apparently if we could catch on, they figured anyone could. At the time I had just had 3 kids in 5 years and had never lifted a barbell. It worked better than anything I had done before and I went on to lose 40 pounds and keep it off.
5) What's your biggest accomplishment at CFCH so far?
Getting tons of double-unders! I love knocking them out. Especially given the first time I tried to do 150 double-unders, it took me at least 15 minutes...
6) What's your biggest non-fitness accomplishment?
Not to be all sappy, but my kids.
7) What fitness goal are you currently chasing?
Stringing together toes to bar.
8) What life goal are you currently chasing?
10 toes to bar unbroken? Besides that I’m trying to meditate daily.
9) What is your favorite CrossFit movement of workout?
I love deadlifts. I love that I don’t feel like I’m going to fall or drop a heavy weight on my head.
10) What movement/workout makes you cringe to see on the board?
Box jumps. Not sure why but am having a mental block all of a sudden.
11) What's your favorite thing about CFCH?
The coaching! Totally not sucking up, it’s actually why we come and why we’ve stayed. The red rig and everything is cool but it’s all about the coaching and programming.
12) What long term plans do you have in the realm of health and fitness?
I feel like I’m on a good path, have found nutrition and exercise that work for me, and am planning to just keep doing what’s working. I am in better shape now than when I was young, and I feel like I can continue getting stronger. I’m not super competitive, but I do like seeing those weights go up.
13) What or who is an inspiration to you?
The kids who marched for their lives on March 24! I cried at some of those speeches, and can’t believe how fearless they are.
14) Which band/station/playlist is your favorite to really get you pumped up at the gym?
I am always looking for new music! I’ll usually try out alternative or workout playlists to find something new but end up skipping so many songs.